The data is taken from the Cornell Hotel Sustainability Benchmarking Tool (CHSB) 2023 data set (based on 2021 data), with over 25,000 hotels in over 600 geographies, which nearly doubles in size every year.
Data for the countries where actual median figures are not available from the raw data received are extrapolated using the following methodology: (1) the average HCMI figure; (2) the average rooms to meeting space ratio; and (3) average CO2e per kWh of electricity for the entire data set were weighted against the International Energy Agency (IEA) CO2 Emissions from Fuel Combustion 2021 country average output of CO2 per kWh of electricity, proportionate to the ratio of difference for each country compared to the global average. A rule-of-thumb of 75% of a hotel’s energy usage being derived from electricity was applied, and that figure was multiplied by the respective ratio of each country’s CO2 per kWh compared to the global average, then adding in the remaining 25% of CO2 from energy usage using the same average and applying the average room floor area to meeting space floor area to generate mean HCMI figures for the remaining countries.
For more information on the data set and the extrapolation methodology, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
While we understand that global extrapolations are broad and high-level figures, we believe that it is better than other existing hotel footprinting methods because of the CHSB source data. Furthermore, as the CHSB data set grows in reach and depth over time, we will be able to reduce extrapolation, while making improvements in the remaining countries that still require it for footprinting exercises.
The CHSB data set, along with the accompanying guidance document outlining the methodology, are freely available online through the Cornell University Center for Hospitality Research or here